Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Velo-City 2013...I'm going cycling!!!



No helmet laws, no helmets (oh well maybe the odd one) and 100s of bicycles - I can't wait and I'm leaving on a jet plane very very soon!

Lots and lots of folk involved with the good stuff on cities - in fact more than 1,300 planners, and architects, and engineers, and social marketers, and business people, and industry reps (helmety ones, don't expect me to drop by!), and academics and environmental activists, and 1 anti-helmet law activist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well maybe a few more too...

...and what a right bunch of charlies us Aussies will feel once we're there - I know...I remember I did last year for the Velo-City12 in Vancouver when the entire auditorium guffawed with laughter when the keynote speaker paused for a little extra emphasis on how rubbish Australia had been to date in terms of doing stuff that really makes a difference, and I mean really really makes a difference because Australia certainly doesn't amount to much when you compare us to other countries and their cities have been doing.

Oh well, not to worry; what can we do except complain like mad, as we do!!!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes! Chat soon!

Velo-City 2013...here I come!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, have a good trip... what a long haul, but I guess you Aussies are used to them. I'd love to visit your beautiful country and see the fauna and flora, but it would be so much nicer if I could cycle there - helmet-free, of course.

    Vienna is a beautiful city. Downstream on the Danube, Budapest is also making astonishing progress. The Central European cities are so close together that it would be nice to be able to take day trips to some others if you have time after your Velo-City event.

    Hope the weather there improves soon. As you know there's been a lot of rain, and flooding in some Central European areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lagatta, thank you and today is absolute heaven - how beautiful is Wien: roses, bicycles, coffee, strudels, sacha tortes - omg I could live here!!!!!

      So got my bike now and am ready to rock and roll - bliss!!!

      Delete
  2. I look forward to your reports and pics.
    I'm sure you've read Bruce Barcott's article "Senseless" in Bicycling.
    If you bump into someone who might know, I'd love to know if the people involved in developing the MIPS helmet approached any Australian helmet manufacturers or SAIGlobal and what the reaction was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I'll make it my business to find out for you!

      Delete
  3. Would Velo-City be a place to start this project:

    Get lots of Cycling advocacy organisations to comment on helmet laws and offer advice to their Australian counterparts. After all, BV doesn't hesitate to lecture them all on their incorrect position on the matter.

    We could put up a page with an image of the letter from each organisation. First we need a list of orgs to approach, and a draft letter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that you're going Sue and I hope you have a wonderful time over there!

    ReplyDelete